Paratransit Operator

Listing Dates: 
Friday, October 27, 2017 to Monday, October 1, 2018
Position Type: 
Salary Range: 

This position is under the supervision of a Supervisor/Dispatcher or assigned Managers. This is a non- exempt, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1277 position.

Duties and Responsibilities

Will drive a Paratransit vehicle to transport the elderly and persons with disabilities throughout the Coachella Valley over specified routes. Candidates must have the ability to communicate with people in a professional and courteous manner, must assist passengers as needed and maintain established time schedules. This position requires that the Paratransit Operator spend 95% of his/her time, sitting/driving and assisting disabled passengers. The remaining 5% of time the Operator will be processing daily paperwork and other miscellaneous duties. The Paratransit Operators must be able to push, pull and/or maneuver 200-450 lbs. (generally consisting of a wheelchair and passenger), frequent kneeling, bending, twisting and standing are required to serve both persons with disabilities and ambulatory passengers.

Minimum Qulaifications

  • Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
  • Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective public relations and communicate clearly and verbally in English
  • Must have a clean and neat personal appearance and must have extreme flexibility, as the schedule may vary on a day-to-day basis
  • Must have the ability to operate passenger-carrying vehicles skillfully and must have an acceptable driving record Please Note: Attach H6 DMV print out with application (10 year driving record)
  • Must possess or have the ability to obtain a California Class B license or permit, passenger endorsement and air brake certification prior to hire
  • Other physical demands are the ability to lift 50 lbs.



SunLine Transit Agency offers a very competitive benefits package including medical/dental/life, pension, vacation, sick time, and more!
All applicants are subject to SunLine Transit Agency employment requirements, including our Physical, Drug & Alcohol Testing program and Background check.
DISCLAIMER:  This job specification is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
NEPOTISM POLICY: Recruitment shall be conducted consistent with the Agency's nepotism policy
SunLine Transit Agency reserves the right to select the best qualified of the persons applying for vacant positions.
To apply, click APPLY in the top right of this page. You can also download and fill in the application and bring it in to our offices at:
SunLine Transit Agency
32-505 Harry Oliver Trauil
Thousand Palms, CA 92276
or call, 760-343-3456, ext 1609
Current employees may fill out the PDF icon<span style="background-color:#ffff00;">Internal Job Application</span> and bring it in to Human Resources. Friends and family of current employees are not eleigible to fill-out the internal application.


Posted 10/27/2017