What is SunDial?
SunDial is a valley wide, curb to curb paratransit service designed to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The purpose is to provide next day public transportation service for persons who are unable to use regular SunBus service. SunDial service is available within 3/4 of a mile on either side of any local SunBus route (not including Commuter Link 220). Please call Customer Service at 1-800-347-8628 to find out if your destination is within the pick-up and drop-off zones.
Click here for the SunDial Brochure
Click here for the ADA Guidebook
Click here for the ADA Certification Application
Who Can Ride SunDial
All persons requesting ADA certification must complete an application and provide the necessary documentation to determine eligibility. Applications are available at the SunLine Transit Agency office in Thousand Palms, via mail by calling Customer Service at 1-800-347-8628 or click here for an ADA Certification Application. Eligibility is not based solely on physical disability. Consideration is given to whether and how the disability impairs an individual’s mobility. Your ADA card may indicate you have CONDITIONAL or UNCONDITIONAL eligibility.
- Conditional means you can use SunDial only under specific conditions. Clients not complying with their eligibility restriction may be subject to review and possible suspension or a change in their eligibility status.
- Unconditional means you have unlimited access to SunDial. This does not restrict you from using SunBus. ADA qualification also allows you to pay half-fare on SunBus.
Travel by SunDial is offered on a space availability basis, you must always inform the Reservationist if your reservation is for more than one person. When space is available, clients may travel with up to three companions who will all be charged the applicable fare.
SunDial clients who have acknowledged the need for a Personal Care Attendant during the ADA certification process may bring one attendant with them free of charge.
Children 4 years old or younger that are traveling with eligible clients are not charged a fare. If a child of 5 years old or younger is traveling on SunDial as a client, an adult attendant must accompany the child at all times for the applicable fare. It is the responsibility of the parent or companion to secure children in safety seats as required by California law enforcement. SunDial does not provide child safety seats.
Service Animals and Pets
Always inform the SunDial Reservationist if you are traveling with a service animal. Non-service animals may travel on SunDial if they are in a properly secured cage or container and do not jeopardize the health or safety of other clients or the driver.
Call SunDial Reservations at 1-866-311-7433. Hours are seven days a week between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Be prepared to provide the Reservationist with the following information:
- Your first and last name
- Your ADA ID number
- Your home address
- Your home and cell phone number
- Your exact pick-up location (example: 123 Your Street)
- A telephone number at your pick-up location
- Your exact drop-off location (example: 456 Destination Street)
- Your requested pick-up time
- Your mobility device and type (wheelchair, scooter, etc.)
- The number of clients traveling with you (if any)
Once your reservation is made, request a confirmation number and the Reservationist's name.
If the reservation line is busy, please be patient and call again. If you are on hold, do not hang up. Calls are answered in the order they are received.